A company has recently been fined £1,000,000 after a self-employed electrician fell off of a step ladder whilst completing work on a bakery.
Contracted to complete the work in October 2013 by Greencore Grocery Ltd in Hull, the electrician was wiring a motor, that was situated above a machine. Using the stepladder that was provided to him, the worker, unfortunately, fell. He then went on to die from the injuries sustained in the fall.
Following the incident, an inspection was carried out by the Health and Safety Executive. From this, it was found that Greencore had failed to properly plan the work being carried out by the electrician.
Consequently, the company pleaded guilty to breaching section three of the Health and Safety Act 1974. They were ordered to pay costs of £30,000 and also fined £1,000,000.
Denise Fotheringham, a Health and Safety Executive stated: “falls from height remain one of the most common causes of work related fatalities in Great Britain, the risks associated with working at height are well known.”
“Work at height regulations require that all work at height is properly planned and appropriate access is provided.”
“If Greencore had carried this out this death could have been prevented.”
Falls from heights are a big topic at the moment within the industry as well as it has been revealed that incidents like this are the number one cause of fatalities on site. Specifically, a whopping 45% of on site fatal injuries are caused by falls! Take a look at the full report here.
And, with a twenty-five percent cut in health and safety inspectors too, construction union Unite has claimed that construction workers’ lives are being put at risk. Take a look at what else they say here.
So what do you think of this? Do you feel safe at work? Let us know in the comments below.