A password will be e-mailed to you.

According to the Unite union, nine out of ten learners are stuck in “dead end training” when it comes to construction courses.

This was found after a freedom of information request submitted by Unite uncovered just 10% of the 203,400 courses last year were linked to apprenticeships. The other 90%, were instead classed as “dead end”, with the classroom based learning having no elements of workplace experience.

Without this, Unite warned that learners would be unable to obtain their National Vocational Qualification. And, with this being the only recognised qualification in the industry, could cause many issues for trainees.

Unite’s assistant general secretary described: “Young people are too often having their hopes of a career crushed, as they end up on courses which can’t provide the qualifications they need.”

“Thousands of people are applying for apprenticeships but there are not enough places available.”

“Yet, at the same time colleges are piling on ‘dead-end courses’, which deny young people the qualifications needed for a career in construction.”

“In two years, we have had nearly a 20 per cent increase in construction courses at a time when there has been no significant increase in apprenticeships.”

“The government needs to sit down and a take a multi-department approach to this problem and to use the funding it is providing to maximise the number of construction apprentices.”

“This is in the best interests of young people, the construction industry and the economy.”

And, with the industry needing more workers than ever to fulfil housing needs, this is a worrying statistic for the industry. UCATT have also warned that more needs to be done to combat this. Take a look at another report on the state of apprenticeships here.

So what do you think of this? Do you think more should be done to help encourage apprentices into the industry? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: www.tes.com

Read More: