An inquest has recently heard that a forty-seven-year-old construction worker has died after receiving a shock of 11,000 volts. Whilst working on site near Ashton, Northamptonshire, the construction worker was electrocuted after the metal rake he was holding came into contact with power lines.
The incident took place back in 2016 where worker Mark White had been instructed to help build a concrete based structure that was in the proximity of the power lines. However, the inquest jury heard that there had been no risk assessment conducted beforehand.
The incident was described that Mr White was working with a group of other men on the structure. Almost complete, the construction worker was using a rake that was attached to an extendable metal pole. This rake was owned by the construction firm KJ Pickering. Unfortunately though, it came into contact with the power lines which were situated six metres above.
His fellow workers then described that they heard the “whizz” and “bang” of an electrical current.
Emergency services were called and rushed to the site. However, unfortunately, Mr White was pronounced dead at the scene. A post-mortem conducted on the worker confirmed that his cause of death was consistent with the signs of electrocution.
Deaths like this, needless and preventable raises the question though: are construction sites truly safe?
Well, this isn’t the first death that has been reported on site recently. In fact, another tradesman was recently crushed by a digger on site, killing him. Pushing his boss out of the way, Philip McDonald laid down his life for another. However, this was another preventable death. The digger that in fact killed the worker, was not supposed to be on the footpath in the first place. Take a look at the full report here.
And, accident statistics have revealed that there is an increased risk of injury to workers in the winter months. Therefore, construction workers are being urged to take care whilst working on site in winter, even when it comes to their PPE. Take a look at the top tips for working in winter here.
So what do you think of this? How safe do you feel on site? Let us know in the comments below.