A password will be e-mailed to you.

Everyone makes mistakes. It’s a part of life. But for this plumber, this mistake cost him thousands of pounds and put an elderly couple in danger.

Eight months after having work done in their home, the elderly couple experienced an explosion that took place due to a improperly fitted boiler. The plumber who did this, did not properly join the boiler’s supply pipe to the inlet pipe. Consequently, this separated, allowing gas to escape.

The incident occurred back in August 2013. At 5:45 am, the gas was ignited. This caused a massive blast which ripped through the home, destroying it in the process. The rubble that was left trapped the victims in their home. Covered by all of the rubble and unable to get out, the elderly couple had to be freed by firefighters.

The couple, both in their seventies, were taken to hospital with a variety of injuries and burns.

The blast didn’t just affect their home though. A further nine houses had to be evacuated whilst emergency services could ensure that the area was safe.

STV News reported that courts have recently ordered the tradesman to pay £3,000 in fines. This was at a rate of £150 a month. In court, it was heard that he denied causing the blast which destroyed the couple’s homes. He also argued that he did not install the boiler dangerously. However, despite his pleas of innocence, the judge found him to be guilty. The judge stated that whilst the plumber may not have intentionally caused the blast, he did not take “reasonable care.”

Currently, it is believed that the plumber is still employed. However, he has had to complete further additional training.

This isn’t the only incident recently though where a mistake has almost cost someone their lives. Last year, it was reported that an apprentice was engulfed in flames after he was given some poor instructions by a superior. Take a look at the full report here.

A simple mistake on site also lead to the death of a pedestrian last year. As she was walking past, the pedestrian was crushed by a falling window pane. Take a look at the full report here.

So what do you think of this? Should more qualifications and training be involved in construction? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: stv.tv

Read More: