“The number dying each year from asbestos-related diseases is unacceptably high.”

A survey has revealed that there is the possibility that painters, decorators and carpenters still regularly come into contact with asbestos. This isn’t just a few times either. According to the Health and Safety Executive, they could have actually come into contact with the deadly dust more than 100 times a year.

The survey also helped highlight and address some myths and misconceptions regarding asbestos as well. It showed, that one in seven believed they would be protected from it if they drank a glass of water. One in four also thought that they were protected if they opened a window whilst working.

In addition to this, only one in three were able to identify what measures needed to be taken to ensure they were working safely when dealing with asbestos. It was revealed that more than half of workers would have actually made a mistake. One that could have been fatal.

Read More: Apparently, over 1/2 of construction workers don’t know basic health & safety!

Most of the workers knew that asbestos could be found in older buildings though. Specifically, those built before 1970. However, what is surprising is that apparently, only 15% were aware that the deadly dust could also be found in buildings built before 2000 as well.

The HSE’s chief inspector for construction stated: “asbestos is still a very real danger and the survey findings suggest that the people who come into contact with it regularly don’t know how to deal with it correctly, which could put them in harm’s way.”

So what do you think? Should there be more education about asbestos? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: www.aandeasbestos.co.uk

Read More: